Wednesday, May 07, 2014

You've Been Warned: Wolverine: Logan

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I like Wolverine, I really do. Hell, my son's name is Logan. The thing is, it takes a like of digging through Wolverine-centric crap before you find anything good. I'm sorry to report that this one falls into the category of crap. This three issue miniseries is pure style over substance. I really like the fact that they place Logan in Hiroshima in 1945. That's a great move and becomes an interesting part of his back story. The other parts of the story, however, fall flat. There is a love story here, but it develops at such a breakneck speed that it never allows the reader to feel an emotional attachment. The antagonist is also underdeveloped, with unbelievably coincidental powers and a desire to kill Logan that is not adequately explored. Of course, it all climaxes in an overlong showdown that is poorly executed. I wish people focused more on storytelling and less on posing. Boy, do I sound grumpy today! I know that some people really like Risso's artwork, but it does not do much for me here. Avoid.

No comments: