Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Gil Kane Cover of the Month: Sgt. Fury #100

If you look at Gil Kane's cover output throughout his career, you'll notice a relative dearth of covers from the war genre. That's not to say he could not produce a solid war cover, but the jobs tended to be assigned to the likes of Joe Kubert and John Severin. I would be interested to hear if Kane enjoyed war stuff or if his preference was to focus on superheroes and westerns. The cover to Sgt. Fury #100 is a terrific example of the inventiveness of Kane's cover design. It has a great 'split' design that we often see above and beneath the water's surface. This time, however, Kane is playing around with time. John Romita makes sure that ever fold in the clothing is accentuated. His inks work very well over Kane here and I'll be sure to keep my eye out for other GK/JR works to feature down the road.

1 comment:

Guido-VisiĆ³n said...

I don't remember where I read it, it might have been on a TCJ interview, but I recall Gil saying he didn't particularly cared about superheroes. I think he said what he enjoyedwas the swords and sorcery stuff, a la Conan. Of course, he was a consummate pro and could deal with whatever the editors threw at him!