Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Add It To My Want List: DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #17

I own a whole bunch of these digests from DC, but I have never have this one in my collection. It was never high on my list because I have always felt that Ghosts was the weakest of DC's horror titles. It was a pleasant surprise to discover that this particular issue mostly collects stories from House of Secrets & House of Mystery from 1969 through 1975, arguably the strongest era for those titles. Many of these are written by Jack Oleck, a very underrated horror writer. The 13 stories include artwork from the likes of Neal Adams, Wally Wood and Berni Wrightson. Of course, none of those gents can truly be appreciated in digest size, but there's a lot of greatness jammed into this tiny package. I haven't even mentioned the all-new Joe Kubert cover. It is gorgeous. I must have this. The hunt begins!

2 comments:

Edo Bosnar said...

This one's on my want-list, too. It's actually pretty hard to find at a reasonable price, at least online.
Otherwise, like you, I had tons of these digests back in the day - both DC and Archie. I always thought it was a pity that Marvel never got into the digest action back then.

M W Gallaher said...

On the bright side, with that English on the cue ball, the victim is only likely to get a crushed arm and leg.

Looking at the detailed listing, it appears that *none* of the stories are actually from "Ghosts", so if that's "the best" as the cover claims...