Thursday, April 26, 2012

Gil Kane Cover of the Month: Captain America #215

Ok, so it has been way more than a month but I'm trying to get back on track. Gil Kane did a ton of covers for Marvel in the 70s, but this one easily cracks my top 10. I absolutely adore the design and colour scheme. The decision to leave the background figures in grey was pure genius. I also really love the choice of characters (the inclusion of some Invaders certain time stamps it. I find it amusing that there are two versions of Nick Fury and even Cap appears in his own background (or it is that crazy 50s Cap?). I do wish, however, that Kane had been able to work Batroc and a Sleeper robot into the picture. This is great stuff, nearing iconic levels. It would have made an amazing poster. Still would.

3 comments:

BenoƮt Leblanc said...

I remember that issue. The cover was very good, of course (as if there were that many bad Kane covers!!!) but what made the young lad that I was particularly happy about it is that it was the first issue after Jack Kirby's last one on the title. I must confess, heretical as it is, that back then I didn't appreciate the King's work as much as I would in later years... Having grown with the more serious Englehart-Buscema Captain America, I found the simpler, more innocent Kirby take less to my taste.

Scott M said...

You don't have to convince me, Ben. I'm down the that run as well. I'm also love the Robbins stuff!

Richard Williams said...

I remember this issue well as it was my very first Cap off the spinner racks back in the day. Always loved Gil Kane, his covers were great.