Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Gorgo #2

We are in the thick of summer, and I have been spending very little time in front of my computer. That's the main reason we have not had a new Ditko cover on here in quite some time. As much as I love Charlton and Steve Ditko, I only seem to own one Gorgo comic book. I should really start to work on that. This cover has just about everything you could want in a Ditko cover: fighter jets, a giant monsters, NYC landmarks and loads of Ditko water. It's quite dynamic and I love how Gorgo absolutely dwarfs the UN Building. Kudos to the folks at Charlton for keeping the cover caption and dialogue-free. I find all of the movie studio stuff to be a bit intrusive, but at least there are two bystanders pointing to Gorgo and yelling something inane. Charlton can be admired for letting the picture do the talking. This is a very fun effort by Mr. Ditko, and I should get myself a copy.

1 comment:

Four-Color Kid said...

Beautiful cover from Charlton!

As a kid-collector, I never was tempted in trying out Charlton books, because their covers didn't appeal to me when I spinned the old "Hey kids! Comics!" wire-rack in search of the best way to spend my meager allowance (and later paper route) money.

Man! I don't know who was in charge of cover designs and editing but Charlton's covers were the worst! Logos, titles were awful most of the time, and cover captions, especially those big ugly ones with the mechanical lettering, intrusive as hell.

This is easily one of the most classy covers I've seen from Charlton. Nice find!