Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gil Kane Cover of the Month: Strange Adventures #81


Even though I was not even born until 1972, I somehow feel nostalgic for the fun, science fiction covers of the 1950s. I mean, can a cover really get any more fun that the cover to Strange Adventures #81 (June, 1957)? There seems to be a bit of prototyping (if that's not a word, it should be) with a neat hybrid of Green Lantern, the Atom and even the Trigger Twins. Out hero(es) even looks like a Ray Palmer/Hal Jordan love child. This is a beautifully designed cover, and luckily neither the dialogue nor the caption obscure the artwork too much. I'm particularly fond of the use of the edge of the bunk to help establish the perspective. Being a Kane cover, I half expected this prison to issue purple uniforms to its inmates.

2 comments:

Four-Color Kid said...

Good catch on the "prototype"!
I never seen this one before.

Mark said...

Isn't this the title that featured the man with Saturn for a head? (Literally a guy with the planet Saturn in place of his head.)