Monday, May 02, 2011

Gil Kane Cover of the Month: Marvel Classics Comics #14

Here's one of my favourite Gil Kane covers from the 70s, buried in the relatively obscure Marvel Classics Comics. It has all you could ask for in terms of a Kane cover, plenty of alien destruction and plenty of nostrils. The War of the Worlds seems like a perfect match for Kane, and his tripod design is truly spetacular. My one beef with it is that the gentleman ensnared by the tripod's tentacle appears to be enjoying the ride. I swear that I've seen that pose somewhere before. Captain Marvel? Morbius? Anyhow, it's a powerful cover as it truly capture the sense of dread and panic that is key to Wells' story. I like Cockrum's inking on Kane, he's a good fit.

2 comments:

craig said...

I completely agree Scott about Cockrum really working well with Kane. Though I like the Rudy Nebres issues of Marvel's John Carter, Warlord of Mars series, it is the early Kane/Cockrum work on the title that stands out as the true artistic highlight. As ever... good work Scott! Craig

Ryan C said...

The rockin thing about Gil Kane was that these way out poses were in everything he did; I love the guy! You haven't lived until you've seen a western with that Kane action.