Friday, March 04, 2011

You've Been Warned: Marvel Team Up #36 and #37

This is a two-parter, so consider yourself doubly warned. I've always admire the ambition of this series; trying to team Spidey up with everyone in the Marvel Universe no matter how little logic is involved. If Batman can team up with Kamandi, why can't Spidey meet Deathlok? Or Killraven? Or every monster in creation? This story follows a convoluted path and Spider-Man and Frankenstein get together (I honestly can't remember how) are both targeted to become some sort of Dr. Moreauvian plot to take over the world via an army of monsters. This silly plot, stretched over two issues by the inefficient Gerry Conway, fizzles out before it gets started.

Essentially, the all powerful mad scientist villain, whom had no problem capturing Spider-Man and the Frankenstein monster (twice), is ultimately defeated because he is (literally) caught napping. Seriously? Then he whimpers like the bad guy in a Scooby Doo cartoon. I know this is a funnybook, but I like my villains to go out with some degree of pride. There's also a lame Beauty and the Beast angle within the Man-Wolf subplot. S.H.I.E.L.D. seems displeased to have to clean this mess up at the end. Sal Buscema's pencils are rendered lifeless by Vinnie Colletta's inks. I know that he's an easy target, but this is a prime example of him hurting a story. This one is downright beastly, and not in the intended way.

4 comments:

Edo Bosnar said...

Interesting turn of phrase, i.e., "beastly," in that last sentence - because the guest in the next issue is Beast, and that's the best issue of MTU ever. Well, not really, but it was the very first one I ever bought so I have really fond memories of it...

benday-dot/craig said...

I confess... I loved this two-parter as a kid. I thought Man-Wolf was super cool, and if a comic contained Frankenstein it must already be a classic. I think now it will be prudent to never visit these issues again and let nostalgia alone keep the love pristine. Thank you for the warning Scott! Craig

Scott M said...

That Griffin issue is a lot of fun - with two of the biggest smart asses in the MU.

Craig - don't let me ruin your nostalgia. Once man's trash etc...

Captain Blog said...

I also confess to loving this two-parter. The covers jumped out at me at the drug store spinner rack along with a few Horror mags on the stand beside it. Nostalgia pays for a lot of my love here and I agree with you about the crying mad doctor. Ugh.
I bought the Man-Wolf issue first an later went back to try and find 36. Oddly enough, it was there so I reread the whole storyline. Being a kid, (target audience) it worked for me. Looking back can be a tricky thing as we are not the age for which the books were intended. Your post prompted me to reread them again and I still love it. Spidey meeting these 'out there' characters made me want more! Loved the whole 'Salem witch hunt-travel to the alternate future' storyline also. I can still see that final panel in my head of Spidey walking away from the still-hanging bodies of the accused witches.
Powerful stuff for a little kid.