Friday, March 18, 2011

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Out of this World #6

Well, Hello Dali! You know, what I really love about Charlton is that they always gave their artists carte blanche. Could you imagine this kind of cover coming from either DC or Atlas during the 1950s? Of course, I imagine it didn't sell as well as the product from those companies but I give the Derby crew full marks for effort. This cover looks like something out of the opening credits to the Twilight Zone. While, I really appreciate the surrealist design, I kind of wish that the cover was a little less 'black' and that a bit more of the purple and/or green had been used. I imagine that this is a tough book to find in high grade. I really like Ditko's signature here as it mimics the other rectangles. Good stuff!

1 comment:

Blair said...

Is this in one of the Fantagraphics archives? Y'know as much as I love Spidey, that 50's Charlton stuff is probably Ditko at the top of his game.