Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Hidden Gems: Mister Miracle Special (1987)

First of all, let me state that I am actually not the biggest fan of Jack Kirby's Fourth World. For some reason, it just does not resonate with me. My favourite character from that Fourth World, however is Scott Free, aka Mister Miracle. This Special, released not long after the Crisis, kick started a bit of a renaissance for Scott, Barda and Oberon as they'd star in an ongoing Mister Miracle series as well as getting involved with the All-New, All-Fun, Justice League. This book features all of your favourites from Darkseid to Funky Flashman, and most of the action takes place in a circus setting in a fun story written by Mark Evanier. What's most notable about this book, however, is that it has 40 pages of gorgeous artwork by non other than Steve Rude. His work here is absolutely stupendous, so crisp and clean. It's obvious Rude likes a good circus-based adventure as he'd later explore than world in The Moth. I'm sure this one pops up in bargain bins from time to time, so keep you eyes peeled and get ready for a Rude awakening.

4 comments:

CPBelt said...

I agree 100% with all your comments. I am a huge MM fan and have always liked this issue. It usually pops up in quarter bins.

Neil Anderosn said...

Totally agree! I love this story, even though I'm not the biggest fan of the Fourth World. This makes me wish Mark Evanier had written the Fourth World titles back in the '70's...

Neil Anderson

Pj Perez said...

I assume you meant to write "I am actually NOT the biggest fan..."

That said, Mr. Miracle was one of my fave characters from Justice League back in the day, and I bet this is as good as you say it is. :)

BenoƮt Leblanc said...

Steve Rude???

I'm gonna have to get that! At the time, I wasn't yet a Rude fan. (I know, I know...)