Thursday, November 18, 2010

Memoirs of a Bronze Age Baby: Shogun Warrios #2

When I was a kid, I loved the Shogun Warriors. I don't remember ever asking for them specifically as gifts, but I had a collection of 3 ( Great Mazinga, Dragun and yes, Godzilla). I certainly took them for granted at the time, not realizing that I'd never see toys quite this cool again. I only had one other friend with these toys, and he lived 5 hours away in Michigan. I never owned the first issue of this series, but I certainly had this one. I always wondered why my Shogun Warriors never ended up in the comic. It was 25 years later that I learned Marvel's license limited them to the three featured here. To be honest, I think most of the convoluted plot went way over my head (still does). I did love the whole underground bunker, as designed by Herb Trimpe, as well as the 'testing sequence' which really was just an advertisement for the toys. It all seemed so exotic to me. Looking back I can really see the influence Kirby had on Trimpe, especially the one page splash of Lord Maur-kon, but at the time it was just all good eye candy for a 6-year old boy.

3 comments:

davidbstewart said...

This brings back many pleasant memories for me! This was first series I sought out every month. My grandmother bought several of them for me. Herb Trimpe became one of my favorites because of Shogun Warriors.

macsnafu said...

Frankly, I never messed with the toys, but the comic book was strangely compelling. And I was around 12 at the time, not 6.

BenoƮt Leblanc said...

I was too old for toys, sadly, but the idea of comics about giant robots was very appealing since we had Grendizer on TV at the time. I was unfortunately not a fan of Herb Trimpe on anything else than the Hulk, and couldn't help compare the simplistic storyline and cartoony art of Shogun warriors to the all-encompassing greatness of the Micronauts, which started appearing at about the same time. But hey! It takes different comics for different people!