Wednesday, October 27, 2010

You've Been Warned: Daredevil #222

You know, I love Daredevil. Really, I do but somehow, this is the fourth issue of Daredevil that I've warned you about. What can I say? When the series is good, it's amazing. When it's bad, however, it is pretty brutal. The plot here is quite silly, beginning with a plane crash in the swamps of New Jersey. Daredevil and Natasha bump into each other in said swamp, as they are searching for someone and something, respectively, that that was aboard the plane. That's all fine and dandy, but O'Neil takes this way too far by making New Jersey seems as dangerous as the Amazon rain forest. A snake appears, and it is the size of a python. As far as I know, NJ has two types of venomous snake and both are rare, if not endangered. To make matters worse, it becomes apparent that O'Neil had recently sat through a Deliverance/Hills Have Eyes/Southern Comfort movie marathon. Where Manhattanites really that afraid to take the wrong exit off the turnpike? Even David Mazzucchelli turns in a sub par performance here. It's like an Assistant Editor's Month book, but I think all of the humour was completely unintentional. Ultimately, it's more offensive to New Jersey than anything on Jersey Shore.

3 comments:

Jeremy A. Patterson said...

This is a bit of a dark era for Daredevil!

J.A.P.

Mark said...

I haven't read this issue but I was reminded of the "Pine Barrens" episode of The Sopranos. Pauly Walnuts and Christopher almost die from the elements of New Jersey but they are portrayed as a couple of dimwits in the wildnerness, not superheroes. Maybe the woods are Daredevil's equivalent of kryptonite.

Mark said...

Oh Lord, forgive my spelling.