Monday, September 13, 2010

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Marvel Spotlight #9

Were it not for the cover to House of Mystery #277, this one would easily be my favourite Ditko cover of the 1980s. Captain Universe was a fairly interesting concept and I really got into it for a brief period at the time. I think Ditko was the perfect fit for the strip, as the fluidity he brings to the page really works with the character. This cover was a terrific way to introduce Captain Universe, as he seems to be jumping off the page. It is very intelligently designed, with enough space given to each figure. It is full of people without ever seeming crowded. It is very rare to find a Marvel cover of this era with so little text. I truly appreciate the restraint, at the image is allowed to speak for itself. The writing on the building has a nice Steranko vibe to it. What I like most about this one is the character design for the crowd. They look truly menacing. It's a great one. It caught my attention as an 8 year old, and it sill does today.

No comments: