Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Memoirs of a Bronze Age Baby: Justice League of America #184

This comic, released at the tail end of the Summer of 1980, was my introduction to Jack Kirby's Fourth World. I was just about to turn 8 years old and still had a lot to learn about the DC Universe. I was somewhat familiar with the Mister Miracle character, as a friend of mine had an issue of two from the Marshall Rogers era. I had somehow missed the first installment of this 'Crisis', and felt a little bit lost reading this one the first time around. I also registered that the art looked different, but was not yet really reading credits at this time. I had no idea it was George Perez' first issue, and it would be years before I became aware that the change had been triggered by Dick Dillin's untimely death. It is a phenomenal issue and I've re-read it so many times that several images are etched in my brain: the child with the glowing eyes, Darkseid rising through the ground and Green Lantern trying to free High Father from his bondage. This was comics on a grand scope, and it was because of books such as this one that I am hooked for life.

2 comments:

Edo Bosnar said...

I'm a few years older than you, but this issue was also the first time I was exposed to the 4th World characters and settings. The entire 3-issue story was just fantastic, and to me it set off a what is probably my absolutely favorite run of JLA stories, up to & including issue #200.

Mighty Mightor said...

This was a huge issue for me too as it was the first comic I ever received as a subscriber back when I was also 7 years old like you. In my mind George Perez here and in the New Teen Titans until '84 was at the height of his powers. Great ish.