Monday, June 28, 2010

Gil Kane Cover of the Month: T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents #14

I love finding non-DC and non-Marvel Gil Kane covers from the 1960s. There aren't that many of them and they show up in some pretty strange places (more on that in a later installment). Here's one that I have always loved. I'm not sure who came up with the design for the Raven, but I think that it is absolutely gorgeous, and informed later costumes such as the second version of the Falcon's costume as well as Star Lord. The snapshot of action is nice - I like the falling car, and the broken fence and our distressed damsel has a Peggy Lipton vibe. The only thing I'd change is the rather garish red background. Kane also provided the interior art for the Raven story. Kane's Raven is sleek and powerful, a real stark contrast to Manny Stallman's ball of energy. I don't mean to knock Stallman, as I really dig his work on this strip. This is about as iconic as a Tower Comics image can get, and it was re-used for the T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents #19 mash-up cover.

No comments: