Wednesday, June 16, 2010

#9 - Top 12 Favorite Comic Book Short Stories

The Missing Link - Tales of Suspense #31 (July, 1962)
Stan Lee and Steve Ditko - 5 pages

Stan Lee and Steve Ditko collaborated on so many short morality plays that it's difficult to pick just one. For my money, "The Missing Link" is one of the best. It also happens to be the first one I ever remember reading. It originally appearing in Tales of Suspense #31, but I discovered it via a copy of Where Monsters Dwell #36, which I picked up from my local shop's 10 cent rack 30 years ago. It was this story that helped me make the connection that this was the guy who drew Shade, Captain Universe and so many of great stories I'd read. The story is a simple one; it involves a man allegedly from Earth's past who may just be able to warn mankind about its future. Stan Lee's twist ending pays homage to both EC and Rod Serling.

No comments: