Friday, February 19, 2010

Hidden Gems: Wally Wood's T.H.U.N.D.E.R Agents #4

I had always been aware of the existence at this mid-80s take on the Tower Comics heroes, but I never really put any effort into tracking down any issues, as I assumed it would simply suffer by comparison to the original. How wrong I was! I picked up issue #4 from a dollar bin, captivate by the terrific George Perez cover. It reads like a true Tower Comics homage, with a variety of stories by a impressive collection of writer and artists. For starters, I had no clue that Ditko contributed to this series. He's a good fit for NoMan. Dann Thomas' take on Raven was a change in gears from the 60s, but I liked it - and as much as I love Manny Stallman, I must admit that Perez and Adkins make a pretty nice team. The most pleasant surprise for me was the Bierbaum's Lightning story, drawn with a nice abstract vibe by Keith Giffen. Superb stuff all around. I look forward to stumbling upon the rest of the series.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,

I'm glad you appreciated #4; I put in so much blood, sweat, and love. There were five issues in all, sadly. When you find issue #1,note that it contains the only George Perez pencils EVER inked by Dave Cockrum, and the only Dave Cochram pencils EVER inked by the legendary Murphy Anderson.

Best,
Dave Singer

Scott M said...

Thanks for stopping by Dave - I look forward to tracking the rest of these down. I have no recollection of ever seeing this on the shelves back in the 80s.

I've only recently been made aware of the legal drama that accompanied this series.