Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Black History Month: Pre-Code Horror

Alvin (A.C.) Hollingsworth is a relatively unknown comic book artist, who worked steadily from 1945 to 1955. He was one of a handful of African American artists working in the comic book field during that period. I just did a short piece on his work at Comics Should Be Good, but I thought I'd take the opportunity to share one of my favourite stories, Green Grows the Grass from Eerie #10 (January, 1953). Stephen King fans may note similarities to the story Weeds, which was adapted for the Creepshow movie as The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill.

I have always found this this tale to be particularly disturbing and gruesome.



1 comment:

Hugo Sleestak said...

It's juvenile of me, I know, but I love the little flower-like objects growing out of his butt on the last page.