Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Jaws Still Works

I picked up a cheap copy of the 30th Anniversary DVD in a dump bin last week. I hadn't seen it in ages, and I'd always heard good things about the 'Making of Jaws' documentary and I hadn't seen the movie in at least 15 years, so I thought it would be a good one to add to the collection, even though I've had a DVD purchasing moratorium in place for over a year. Still haven't watched the documentary, but my wife and I sat down to watch it the other night. It still works. I love the characters, and my wife got blindsided by two good jump scares. First, the head in the fishing boat resulted in some red wine spillage. She switched to water at the halfway mark, but spilled that after the shark cage got bumped from behind. I can't remember the last time I saw her jump like that. This really might be the perfect movie as everything works, from the score to Robert Shaw's amazing speech.

2 comments:

gef the talking mongoose said...

As a horror fan of long standing (though, in truth, most intensely the last 6 years or so, as far as my viewing habits are concerned), I've somehow never seen JAWS. I suppose the relative lack of appeal, for me, is that the shark isn't a monster per se, a manifestation of the supernatural, etc. ... though from what I gather elements of those archetypes are certainly present.

Now, as to why I've never gotten around to watching ROSEMARY'S BABY, I can't even speculate. Except to say that having read the MAD takeoff when I was 10 or so, I feel almost as if I *have* watched it ...

Mark said...

The Indianapolis speech is amazing. That entire scene puts Jaws far above typical thrillers.