Monday, August 31, 2009

Memoirs of a Bronze Age Baby: UFO & Outer Space #20

I have a lot of warm fuzzy memories about this book. I remember reading it several times during the early years of my comic book addiction. It was certainly my first exposure to the 'Readers Accounts' sub-genre. This book left my life sometime in the 80s, and I've missed it dearly. Over the last decade or so, I've been slowly collecting a run of this Gold Key series, but for one reason or another, I had no luck in tracking down a cheap copy of #20. I spent a few hours at the FanExpo here in Toronto yesterday and found a vendor with some nice Gold Keys for 50% off (hurray for Sunday afternoons!). So, for $2 I was able to tap into some childhood nostalgia. I cracked open the book after the kids were in bed and was actually a bit surprised by how little of it I remembered. I was actually questioning whether I had indeed read it several times 25+ years ago. Then, I came across the cattle mutilation story and all those memories came flooding back. Oh, those cows! I was always creeped out by the fact that they were drained of their blood and had their ears removed. I love that kind of feeling - tapping into my inner 6 year old.

No comments: