Friday, June 12, 2009

Memoirs of a Bronze Age Baby: Space Family Robinson #42

I have no recollection of how this book came into my life. It was certainly one of the first comic books that I ever recall reading, but there's no way my parents bought it for me off the racks, as I would have just turned 2 years old. I have these vague memories of owning certain books at certain times that don't seem to mesh with the actual publication dates, so I can only assume that they were either gathering dust in some corner store or perhaps assembled into some sort of 3-Pack. These poisonous butterflies always creeped me out as a kid, but nowhere near as much as Baby Alive (one of the ads in the 16-page insert). I really love this particular insert as it's got the very cool Duke the Dog and a fondue kit for kids. I was exposed to Dan Spiegle's artwork at a very young age, but for some reason it took me a while to piece together that this was also the guy that drew the Nemesis back-up in Brave and the Bold. Looking at it today - it's not a groundbreaking story - but it's pleasant fun and the toy ads really bring back the memories. My sister actually had a Baby Alive, and I never got over the fact that her food came from sugar packs.