Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Trade Marks: The Golem's Mighty Swing

I thought that I'd absolutely love this book. I enjoyed it but it certainly didn't 'Wow' me the way I had expected. Perhaps I went in with overly high expectations, but I was underwhelmed. I love baseball, I love history and I love underdog stories - so this tale of a barnstorming Jewish baseball team seemed to be a perfect fit for me. I'm not sure what didn't work here. Sturm has a knack for dialogue and his art is clean and clutter free. Overall, I think that the story lacked cohesion - as it came across more as a series of vignettes than a single story. Character development was rushed to the degree that my heart just wasn't in it with them. It is by no means a bad book, and I'd certainly recommend it - especially to non-comic readers as it moves along nicely and is easy to follow. It simply came up a bit short for me. Trade Mark: B

No comments: