Tuesday, March 31, 2009

You've Been Warned: Marvel Two-In-One #31

Ben Grimm spent a good chunk of 1977 in London. Like many vacations, it started off fairly strong but readers were likely getting homesick by this point. You've got to check your brain at the door when reading Marvel Two-In-One, and I'm okay with that - but this Spider-Monster arc will test the patience of even the most die hard FOOMer. Since leaving U.S. shores, Ben has helped Namor in he mid-Atlantic, Shang-Shi in London and even assisted the fledgling Spider-Woman deal with some Stonehenge-related mystical mumbo jumbo. For some reason, Marv Wolfman decides to end this English sojourn with something even more ludicrous. For some reason, HYDRA has decided that the best way to deal with the Thing is to turn Alicia Masters into some sort of Spider-Monster. The only 'Mystery Menace' here is the odour that emanates from this book. To paraphrase Mr. Grimm - 'It's Shreddin' Time'.

3 comments:

Argo Plummer said...

I remember this cover from when I was a kid, but I didn't remember that Alica was the mystery menace until I read it.

This is a title I go back and forth on--I have some great memories of the Aquarian and Serpent Crown stories, but when I went out and bought them, they were merely OK.

I want to pick up the rest of this title out of nostalgia, but will I ever read them?

Blair said...

I loved this (and still do!)
The only thing annoyed me is Ben spent all that time in London but never teamed up with my other fave Captain Britain! (Admittedly Brian was probably in his brief sojourn at Empire State Uni teaming up with Spidey.)

Thanks for a great site!

Shamus said...

I loved this run too. Yep it was crazy but I was 10 years old so it was crazy good.

PS yes I'm loving this blog. Clearly we grew up with similar tastes right down to Neil Young and the Copacabana in Montreal. And of course devouring comics.