Thursday, March 26, 2009

Cheap Grapes: Terrasses de la Mouline Saint Chinian 2007

We're heading back to the Languedoc, folks. No matter how hard I try to look elsewhere, my favourite value wines still come from the Sud-Ouest. Saint Chinian is a smallish Appellation, just north of Minervois and to the west of Coteaux de Languedoc. It's a nice blend, grounded by equal parts Carignan and Grenache. It's got a very spicy nose, and very delicate mixture of dark cherry, blackberry and even chocolate. It's an unbelievably complex wine for the price ($13.95 here in Ontario) with very impressive length. I don't think that 2007 is regarded as a terribly great vintage, but this wine is really quite pleasing and I imagine it will cellar until 2013 or so. It would be a great crowd pleaser for a party - a good hybrid of Old and New World. If my wallet and liver would permit it, I'd drink this one every night.

No comments: