Monday, February 23, 2009

Steve Ditko Cover of the Week: Beyond the Grave #6

Here's an above average mid-70s Ditko cover for Charlton. The first thing that really jumps out at you is the colour scheme. The blues and yellows are much more 'superheroic' than we normally seen at Charlton and bring to mind Marvel or DC. I really love the figures in the foreground, Halloween reveller completely unaware or what lurks behind them. Speaking of 'behind them', I'm not quite as enamored with the figure rising from the grave in the background. It's a bit too cartoonish and the angle really bothers me. Actually, the thing that bothers me the most is the Charlton Publications logo at the bottom right. It sits smack dab in the middle of a character's face. I do like this one, I just wish the 'zombie' was a bit more menacing. For those interested, this is one of those 'No Ditko Inside' Charltons.

3 comments:

MDG14450 said...

Y'know, it looks like the cover is cropped and we're not seeing the entire piece--this would account for the odd composition and uncharacteristically clunky background inking.

Scott M said...

You could very well be right. If so, I'd love to see the full image.

So many Charlton covers were simply lifted from interior artwork. I don't think that's the case here, but I can't say with 100% certainty that it doesn't come from some random Ditko horror story that I haven't seen.

R. W. Watkins said...

I would love to know what Scott's favourite Ditko horror story is from the old Charlton days. Some of my favourite Ditko art is from those horror comics.