Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Trade Marks: Strangers in Paradise Pocket Book Vol. 1

Back in the mid-90s, I read maybe a 8-10 issues of SiP, so I had been through a decent chunk of this stuff before, but it has been at least 10 years and I was very pleased by how well it has aged (as opposed to me). At some point, all of the flip flopping from publisher to publisher made me loose track of this title, so I am very happy that Terry Moore has published it in this very affordable format. Some may argue that it's difficult to read, but I'm really finding these smaller sized books to be perfect. I took this one away with me on a business trip and plowed right through it. Francine, Katchoo and David are great comic book characters because they are simultaneously believable (short fuses, awkward conversations) and unbelievable (shooting alarm clocks, obscene weight gain). The actual 'plot' in this volume works quite well, as Moore is able to keep the action from getting too far out of hand. I must admit that I've never been a big fan of prose or poetry thrown into comics - really disrupts the flow of this for me. The only real flaw here. Trade Mark: A-

No comments: