Monday, October 06, 2008

Memoirs of a Bronze Age Baby: Black Lightning #10

This one was not a spinner rack find. If memory serves, I stole it from the lunch room at my grade school. For all I know, there was a copy of Incredible Hulk #181 lying there, but I decided that I couldn't live without Black Lightning #10. Actually, it was a pretty good decision on my part. This comics book has provided me with years of entertainment. There's nothing particularly special about this book - just a fun story involving the Trickster, a fake Black Lightning and an elephant (there's a joke in there somewhere). As a 6 year old, I assumed Black Lightning was a big as Superman or Batman. As an 'ironic' 20 year old, I love the sheer 70sness of it all. I would always point out to friends that BL was the ultimate 70s superhero because he had extra afro as part of his costume. This is definitely one of the beat up books I own, as it has travelled with me for 30 years.

No comments: