Tuesday, September 30, 2008

You've Been Warned: Daredevil #59

Let me begin by saying that I have a lot of love for the Silver Age. Even though I absolutely worship at the altar of the Frank Miller version of DD, I still have a soft spot in my heart for all sorts of Mike Murdock related lunacy. With issue #59, however, Roy Thomas and Gene Colan ensure that DD ends the 60s with a whimper. With Foggy, Karen and Willie, there are simply too many supporting characters to follow, and the master criminal Crime Wave isn't really anything new. All of that looks pretty good when compared to the super lame Torpedo (just how many Torpedoes have there been anyway?). He may be the only super villain I've ever seen accentuate his costume with a fedora (oddly missing from the cover). The script is a bit of a mess, and the artwork is subpar. I love Gene Colan, I really do - but the scene where Willie discovers Crime Wave's secret headquarters is really awkward, rushed looking stuff. For completists only.

No comments: