Friday, June 06, 2008

Cheap Grapes: Mother Cluckers 2005 Chardonnay

If you live in Ontario, you'd better get moving as this product has been discontinued and the price has been slashed from $15.20 to $7.95 (so, we are really talking 'cheap' here). I was given the heads-up by a colleague and picked up a case at the Queen's Quay LCBO. Yes, I was more than a little skeptical (especially because I can't stand 'cute' labels) but I figured that I didn't have much to lose. At the very least I'd bring it along to various BBQs and parties throughout the summer, and at $95 a case, I'm not too picky. It turns out that it is very, very pleasant wine. One of my favourite New World whites is Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc and, although this is a Chard, there are certain similarities. This is unoaked (yay!) so you don't feel like you're about to enjoy a bottle of vanilla perfume. It also has some of those mineral/metallic qualities that I enjoy with the Oyster Bay SB. That is something I always look for in whites, as it speaks to greater complexity and you'll never find it in anything under $10. I'm not sure of the whole story of how it's been discontinued, or if it's available at a discount in other provinces and states. In Ontario, it is LCBO product #620088, and by my quick count of the availability on the LCBO website they are fewer than 300 bottles left in Ontario (179 at the Queen's Quay store). Run like a chicken with it's head cut off!

2 comments:

Mickey Coalwell said...

Hm. Interesting. I almost never drink Chardonnay, and prefer unoaked Chard when I do. This one sounds pretty good. This NZ wine seems to be well-liked by tasters on the web -- it's been described as having a "spicy apple nose" by one oenophile, while another describes it as having "stonefruit and melon overtones." I don't know. I don't care for sweet wines (except for Germans) and so I'm reticent. The mineral/metallic quality you mention appeals, but I'm afraid it will be overwhelmed by the sugar. I'll think about it the next time I'm shopping for a white (not too damn often, I'm afraid).

Scott M said...

I'm in the same boat as you, Mickey - not a fan of the sweet stuff (took forever to get rid of the aftertaste of a white Shiraz yesterday), but this one ain't bad. Again, the main reason I recommend it is the low price here in Ontario. I found out that if a wine doesn't make it's sales quota at the LCBO, it is discontinued and the price is slash. This one just wasn't selling at $15.50, which I can understand. I also don't drink that much white - but the heat is upon us so I'll be trying some more. Again, the Oyster Bay Sauvignon Blanc is always solid, but it's $18.50 here in Ontario, so it's a bit of out 'cheap' territory.