Monday, January 15, 2007

#9 - Top 12 Comic Book Characters

9. Alfred Pennyworth

I think that everyone needs an Alfred in life. Someone who will stick by you through the best and worst of what life has to offer. He is the person who keeps Batman/Bruce grounded, and keeps him from going off the deep end. Like many readers (and Bruce from time to time), I probably took Alfred for granted. He was simply a nice British chap who made tea at all hours of the night.

From time to time, some writers give Alfred his due and capture his essence of Alfred and show just how important a role he plays in the Bat-Universe. More recently, I was delighted to see Michael Caine do Alfred justice in Batman Begins. He was absolutely perfect.There are not many comic book scenes that have touched me as much as the following page from Batman: Dark Victory as Alfred gets Dick Grayson settled in at Wayne Manor and attempts to make up for some of the mistakes he’s made in the past. When I first read this, I was absolutely blown away.It still gets me today.

No comments: