Monday, January 16, 2006

The Future is Invincible

The comic book industry is in the toilet.

Comic books are looking more and more like Maxim magazine.

Where have you gone, Sal Buscema?

These are all things that I have said or though in recent years. Over time, I have become less and less interested in handing over $3 or $4 for a story involving Pam Anderson wannabes that takes me 90 seconds to read. Although I have grown more and more cynical over time, every now and then I read a new comic book that renews my faith in the funnybook business.

After a really, really lousy week – I came home to find a package from a comic book pal of mine from D.C. Inside was a hardcover edition of a book he had recommended: Invincible: Ultimate Collection Vol. 1.

There is nothing I like to do more on a Saturday morning, than to grab a cup of coffee and to sit down on my couch with a comic book. It’s become a little bit more challenging lately, with a newborn demanding a lot of my attention – but I still try to make time for the 4 Color world.

Although I am sure that I am the last person to jump on the bandwagon – I just want to say that for anyone who is looking for something new to try, this book is great. It features superb characterization, subdued but effective artwork and some great dialogue. At times, the story feels very Silver Age retro, but they are certain touches that help to establish that this book is indeed very modern.

Invincible helps to demonstrate that superhero books just might still have a future.

Thanks for the book, Ray!

No comments: