Monday, September 19, 2005

I've Got a Virus

No, not a computer virus.

I am sick - maybe it's viral. I dunno, I'm a lawyer not a doctor.

That being said, my general dopiness and housebound status has led me to set up this blog.

My goals?

Like anyone else - talk about stuff they like. For me, that's mainly comics, movies, sports, books, travel, my wife and our upcoming baby.

Today - I am mainly thinking comics. I was just in NYC on a business trip and had the chance to stop by a new comic book store in Brooklyn called Rocketship. It's a great spot and I encourage anyone within striking distance to stop by.

As you will soon learn, I don't really buy new comics. I had a real falling out in the mid to late 90s, and have had a tough time handing over the dough since then. I have generally concentrated on buying back issues on Ebay - building my collection of Golden and Silver Age books. I'll also pick up reprint TPBs here and there, but usually only when I can get it for a good price.

At Rocketship - I picked up some newer material and I hope to share my thoughts on it here at some point in the not too distant future.

With Baby #1 on the way, I have actually been selling some comics in efforts to raise some coin for a nice gift for my wife, Kat. She has been very curious about all of the time I have been spending on the computer scanning comics.

Although I am sad to see some things go, I have reached the point where I have some many comics that there is nowhere to put them. I thought that I would take the books that I don't really love and see what I can get for them.

The whole eBay auction process was a little scary at first. I have always been a buyer - never a seller. I worried about getting burned and people complaining about my grading etc... I am happy to report that so far (touch wood), everything has gone smoothly.

Here's what I have discovered: there is a real market for 40s and 50s horror and crime (that's no huge surprise), but I have had a tougher time getting decent prices on Silver Age superhero titles. Granted, keys and even minor keys have sold (got twice what I was expecting on a Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1), but normal 60s books can just sit there unsold at $4.99 even in high grade. I guess that's to be expected, because I have been buying great book for next to nothing over the past 6 years on eBay.

Even though there has always been a market for pre-Code horror, I always assumed it was for EC, Atlas and maybe Harvey. I was happy to see people snapping up titles from publishers like Ace and Trojan.

It's a pretty labour intensive process - with all of the scanning and trips to the post office, but it will be worth it in the end if I can make enough for a nice gift for Kat.

That's what I am thinking today - more of a comic book marketplace kind of mindset then anything else. I'll be back to talk about actual books, writers and artists before too long.

I am off for some medicine and maybe a nap.

Welcome and feel free to share your thoughts.

1 comment:

Mr. Rice said...

I look forward to hearing what you think of the newer comics you got.